Skip to main content

Farewell to 2011, and looking forward to 2012...

I started typing a "back from Autodesk University" post... that never got to publish.
On the last day of the year I am resolving to publish (even) shorter notes, to keep you all in the loop of what I am researching.
My reason for silence during 2011 was that I've been working on some top secret projects and some ongoing projects that can now be mentioned. This year I prepared 4 AU classes, which took also a lot of time. An I did my first lecture as co-speaker and with an invaluable help from Zach Kron (if you don't know his blog, it's a must: http://buildz.blogspot.com/). As I said in the opening statement of the class, I really wanted to attend HIS class, so I figured out that my best bet was to be standing at the front! The class is available online, if you want to find out more about it.
Another highlight of AU was a design challenge, to build "something" with a modular kit of 150 cardboard cutouts, the 123D Fab Challenge. I'll try to get back to this too, it was great fun! My attempt was to build a programmable clockwork puppet, to tell "The sad story of Mr James McFluffy"...

Back on the blogging front, despite not posting since May, according to the Stats for the blog I have received at least a visit a day, of which I am surprised and honoured! I will probably come back to the stats for the blog, I find it surprisingly detailed (in other words, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE - more or less!)



When it comes to projects, the main one was Gatwick. And still is. Here's a video explaining what we've been doing:


It was a presentation for an internal HOK award, and despite a soft tongue-in-cheek format the content sums up a lot of the BIM, Delivery and Collaboration development Ive been working on during the year.

So, as I posted in a tweet (as @UnderNDA) my New Year's Resolution for 2012 is to blog more, and describe what I'm investigating in the field of Architectural Design, with the toys (I meant tools) I've been buying and downloading this year, that include: Arduino, Kinect, Processing, Python, Vasari, Dynamo...
I'm looking forward to a year that will probably see BIM mature to Whole Life Cycle (I'm starting to see extremely interesting integration of data in this sense). Maybe we are about to redefine what an Intelligent Building is... more like the headquarters in the I Robot movie.

So, that's my promise to 2012, a few lines of what I'm up to and sharing the excitement about developing these little projects. See you all next year. If any reader wants me to focus on any specific area, feel free to leave a comment, I promise to pay attention to them!!!

CHAU 2011 y FELIZ 2012, SALUD!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My reading list
Mathematic explorations

Back on the saddle after a long silence, this time bringing a list of books that have kept me busy... is this a good excuse for not writing blog entries??? With a deadline for this afternoon I cannot spend a lot of time describing each book... yet I want to push myself to communicate some of the mind-opening good reads I came across recently. Most are not new books, and probably you will recognise them. Without further introduction, here's a list of books about maths, with a twist: Godel, Escher, Bach: and eternal golden braid by D. Hofstadter The_Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World by Ian Stewart Introducing Chaos, a graphic guide Art and Physics by Leonard Shlain Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker So, these are some of my current and past reads. Have you read them? Any recommendations down these lines? In future entries I will explore books about design and programmi

The ROI of BIM:
Why is it so difficult?

Decision makers often requests a calculation of the Return for their Investment. When it comes to BIM, the calculation of a single number (the strict definition of "ROI") is difficult and arguably limited in practical value. Decision makers are more interested in a wider understanding of what they (and their company) are getting back. In this note I present my thoughts on the ROI measurement limitations and how to address investment decisions for BIM. Introduction Return on Investment or ROI is a common evaluation metric to decide on investment projects. In certain contexts it is a back-of-envelope assessment of performance of an opportunity. It simply states the ratio between the expected returns and the required investment, and is often presented as a percentage value. (ROI = Return/Investment). The Return is the net impact of the implementation, meaning the difference between the value before and after the project is executed, or the gross return minus the investment