Skip to main content

Welcome to "Under NDA"

So, I started a Blog.
Last week after the office I went to the bar with the guys, and went on about another crazy side project, one of those that could change the world if ever completed. Robbie asked: "Do you ever get to write about these topics? If you did, how big the book would be?"
He left me thinking... and triggered the big question: if I was to write at least a line on these wild shots into technology, interoperability, robotics, BIM, would anyone be interested? Maybe I will inspire or influence an ongoing investigation even trigger a new one, or get in contact with people that are dealing with subjects that drive my attention.
I have to admit that I rarely push to conclusion these ideas, and quite often forget about them after some time. Maybe by keeping track of some of them I will be able to compile enough information to write a book (most likely the blog itself will be my only publication though!)
The title is meant to be puzzling: Discussions held "Under Non Disclosure Agreement" are supposed to be private... yet I am blogging about them.

Let me get this clear (and I will probably repeat it over and over again): ALL IDEAS OR PROJECTS EXPRESSED HERE REFER TO PERSONAL SIDE PROJECTS, AND ARE IN NO DIRECT CONNECTION TO ANY COMPANY I HAVE WORKED OR COLLABORATED IN THE PAST OR PRESENT. I DO NOT INTEND TO DISCLOSE PRIVILEGED INFORMATION OR REFER TO ONGOING PROJECTS. IF ANY INFORMATION PUBLISHED HERE IS CONSIDERED TO BE AGAINST THIS STATEMENT, CONTACT ME AND I WILL AMEND THE PUBLICATION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The coming posts will (hopefully) explain my thinking: I've read a lot about using Genetic Algorithm in an architectural design process, combining the "analytical approach to Design" that Prof. Baudizzone taught me in Uni, back in 1997. Yet I never got it implemented - the closest I got to it was a GWBASIC program for a Museum competition, that was not really using Genetic optimization.

Another long running project is the implementation of a collaborative Neural Network for an AI concept. Never got far either...

When I was 9 or 10 (maybe a bit more) I designed a series of robotic arms, based on cardboard and strings, and I kept the "blueprints" in a sealed envelope with bold "TOP SECRET" stamp... I will probably give that project a miss :P

Enough for now... I will keep you posted on the next challenge I come across or I throw in front of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My reading list
Mathematic explorations

Back on the saddle after a long silence, this time bringing a list of books that have kept me busy... is this a good excuse for not writing blog entries??? With a deadline for this afternoon I cannot spend a lot of time describing each book... yet I want to push myself to communicate some of the mind-opening good reads I came across recently. Most are not new books, and probably you will recognise them. Without further introduction, here's a list of books about maths, with a twist: Godel, Escher, Bach: and eternal golden braid by D. Hofstadter The_Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World by Ian Stewart Introducing Chaos, a graphic guide Art and Physics by Leonard Shlain Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker So, these are some of my current and past reads. Have you read them? Any recommendations down these lines? In future entries I will explore books about design and programmi

The ROI of BIM:
Why is it so difficult?

Decision makers often requests a calculation of the Return for their Investment. When it comes to BIM, the calculation of a single number (the strict definition of "ROI") is difficult and arguably limited in practical value. Decision makers are more interested in a wider understanding of what they (and their company) are getting back. In this note I present my thoughts on the ROI measurement limitations and how to address investment decisions for BIM. Introduction Return on Investment or ROI is a common evaluation metric to decide on investment projects. In certain contexts it is a back-of-envelope assessment of performance of an opportunity. It simply states the ratio between the expected returns and the required investment, and is often presented as a percentage value. (ROI = Return/Investment). The Return is the net impact of the implementation, meaning the difference between the value before and after the project is executed, or the gross return minus the investment